Thursday, March 24, 2011

New TBI app for iPhone/iPod Touch

Last week, in a tweet from SportsConcussions.org, they advertised their new TBI assessment tool that is designed to work with the iPhone and iPod touch.  The Blackberry and Android versions are expected to be released in the near future, according to the website.  To begin with, the application shows great promise since "The diagnostic tests are a combination of the medically accepted SAC, SCAT2, BESS, and the CDC's On-Field Mental Status Evaluation."  

The funny part of it is that, at the moment, I could not purchase the application on my 2nd generation iPod, since it "hang in a loop" after tapping the buy button.  (I contacted the programmer, and they are working to correct this issue.  We have shared several emails and they said it seems to limited to certain models only.  I fully expect to hear from them soon letting me know that the problem has been corrected.  I also plan to update this post once I get the response.)  


The funny part is, it does work on my iPad 2.  The working screen is small since it is written for the smaller devices, but it is usable.    I suggested to the programmer that they optimize the program for the iPads.  They agreed that it was a good idea and I assume will tackle that soon. 


The frustrating part is that the tweet came 2 days after my athlete's last TBI.  (I just missed being able to try it out.)  Therefore, I was relegated to making up a fictitious athlete to see how well it worked.  I was pleased to see that it is an easy program to use and does have the potential to be used by coaches and parents as well.  Obviously, I'd prefer to see more input from other ATs and potentially from some physicians before it makes its way to the lay public.


The important part to remember with this testing is that many of the studies that examine the tests upon which this software is based indicate that they should only be used acutely (on the sidelines.)  These tests are not supposed to be used for follow-up care and and are not sensitive to the chronic issues associated with post-TBI syndrome.


I am hoping that this works as well as I expect it to and will make carrying paper and pen around to perform a SCAT2 test obsolete.  So the only question I have now is...Who wants the first big smack in the head to give me the opportunity to try this?  No volunteers?  I guess I will just have to wait it out then.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+