Friday, May 25, 2012

Helpful Dietary Aids

Over the winter, I was introduced to a website that I thought might be a nice experiment to try before I recommend it to athletes or others who are worried about their weight.  The site, www.myfitnesspal.com, is a calorie counter that has a few nice features built into it.  The most important of these is the fact that the site designers have seen the power of mobile platforms and have designed apps that for several different operating systems that tie in to their database.  It is now possible to get real time information about the number of calories you are consuming while you are sitting at the dinner table.  The user does not have to write it down now and copy it later.
Because it is a calculator, it does all of the number crunching for the user.  It has already been programmed with a wide variety of foods from restaurants and from the grocery store.  Best of all, you can scan bar codes to quickly look up exactly what it is that you are eating using your smartphone's camera.  Assuming that the product is in the website's database, it will fill in all the nutritional information for you.

There are other options for creating and saving some of your homemade meals.  The caloric count and and other nutritional information can also be added to the site for each of these meals.  To date, I have only added a few meals to it, but I certainly plan on adding more.

Overall, it is a website that I have had great success with in modifying my diet.  I was amazed at how many of little snacks (especially the beverages) added up so quickly.  I look forward to recommending the site to student athletes who are looking to track their diet and lose or gain weight.  I also look forward to continuing to improve my own health using the site.  By the way, did I mention that the website was free?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+