Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A new idea

I was in a discussion a couple weeks ago with a few colleagues on Twitter where they were showing pictures of some the most damaged and scratched football helmets that were turned in for reconditioning at the end of the 2012 season.  During the discussion, I thought that taking pictures and documenting the helmets of those who are sustain multiple concussions throughout a season can tell a lot about the athlete's style of play.  If I can combine that with the game videos and compare this data with those kids that are not subject to multiple head injuries, I believe that this can go a long way to helping to change coaches' minds about leading with the head when tackling.

Unfortunately, all of our helmets were already sent out for reconditioning before I had this idea, so it will have to wait until next year.  I am writing this here to see if there is interest from the research type personnel out there in this kind of data. I think that it could be very valuable, especially if we can design an online reporting system of the data (or add it to some existing database.)

I am sure that this is something that could be easily replicated by many high school ATs around the country to help get more information about the frequency of these injuries and their causes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+