Thursday, April 18, 2013

Unsung Heroes at the Boston Marathon

On Monday, April 15th, 2013, we were given another reminder about how the dangerous the world in which live is. The bombing of innocent victims at a marathon of all places is disgusting and inexcusable. While authorities struggle to find who was responsible for the horrific attacks, the media has been busy bringing attention to the heroic acts of the doctors, nurses, EMTs, police, military, and firefighters. These people demonstrated extreme heroism since it is fairly well known that these kinds of attacks often involve multiple explosions designed to injure the first responders. These people scoffed at that danger and rushed in to help. Congratulations and thank you to each and every one of you.

Secondly, and no less important than my first point, my prayers go out to the victims and their families. I hope that they are all able to move past this horrible event and find peace.

Now for my small rant against the media. It has been very disappointing to me to see how these well known and celebrated professionals are the only ones who get the recognition that they deserve. This may come as a surprise to many in the public, but these people were not the only ones responding. Within that group of "other healthcare providers" were athletic trainers, physical therapists, and likely a few others. It sickens me that these these other professionals get less recognition for their efforts in this tragedy. I wish I had the resources available that the media does to be able to get a list from race organizers of all of those who were there that day and responded. I don't think that it would be any great effort on the media's part to publish a full list of the professionals that responded. I guess the recognition will only come after many more long and arduous years of public education.





No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+