Monday, December 20, 2010

Irresponsible authors are also making it difficult to keep TBIs relevant

In a short commentary on a picture of  Cal’s Robin Rostratter playing volleyball with a helmet on, the author questions the necessity of wearing the helmet.  I am appalled by the complete lack of professional responsibility on the author's part to not investigate why the helmet was needed.  The author states that is has to do with a previous TBI, but does not say anything more than that.  I had a situation early in my career where a young basketball player consistently would end up with a TBI with even the slightest hit to the head.  My colleagues helped me look for answers to allow the young lady to continue to play and we wished we could have found a helmet like this for her to wear.  While it may not have prevented all of the TBIs that can occur from hitting her head repeatedly, she may have been able to avoid the symptoms returning from the common, mild knocks to the head.  I find this commentary on this article to be sickening in light of the current climate that athletic departments face concerning the issue of TBIs.  I would even be willing to bet that the author of this commentary had no direct contact with the student-athlete, the game, or the program at Cal and simply saw a picture that they felt they needed to comment on.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+