Friday, December 31, 2010

TBI effects in school

Sometime during the last couple of days, I found an article from USA Today that addresses the issues that youth face in school after a mTBI.  This made me grateful that we took the time earlier this school year to meet with the local school nurses in their monthly meeting to explain to them the newest standards of care regarding mTBIs.  It was interesting that when I presented the nurses with the possibility that a young athlete may be restricted to a dark room with no stimulus for an extended period, that they didn't fully understand it.  (A well known neuropsychologist described this a "turning them into a mushroom." I like the analogy.)  The question was asked by the nurses "How much of their homework or tutoring should they be sending home to aid the injured student athlete in staying up to date?"  They were floored when I further explained that it was possible the doctor could say "None."  The entrenched ideals that came crashing down with my statement were visible in their expressions.  Further, they were shocked when I explained that  there have been recent, extreme cases where students have been forced to repeat grades because of a TBI that held them out of school for extended periods.  I found that they were certainly receptive of the information, despite the fact that the protocols seemed very contrary to what they have been practicing for many years.  I felt that the explanations of why the protocols are in place have aided greatly in their understanding.  Now the next step is to meet with school administrators to get them on board.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+