Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Another author needs an update

I was looking through my series of news alert when I saw headline that grabbed my attention.  "Bill to ease concussions is bogus" was how the headline read and it immediately got me to wondering what the author was getting at.  Paul Carpenter, a writer for the "The Morning Call," was trying to relate his experiences while participating in athletics 30 years ago and somehow call it relevant today.  He makes a serious charge when he states "trainers are nothing but flunkies for coaches, some of whom are willing to do anything to win."  The problem here is that we are not "trainers."  We are athletic trainers.  This subtle, but important distinction allows us to distinguish ourselves from personal trainers and fitness trainers who do not have the background in studying mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBIs) and should not be able to make a return to play decision.  By demeaning athletic trainers in the way you have, you only made yourself look foolish.  I was hoping that when I read your story, that you would have been more focused on the rules changes that are trying to decrease the number of risky hits, the style of helmet, or some other aspect to the TBI controversy a the moment.  In closing, I would like to invite Mr. Carpenter to visit the National Athletic Trainers' Association website through the link provided below.  I would hope that in the future, he would take the time to ask a few more questions before jumping into the fray with terribly outdated statements.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Google+